If you are an Amazon seller who is getting affected by negative customer reviews on your products then you need to understand how these 1 – 3 negative star reviews impact your product pages and how to easily remove negative customer reviews.
One thing to note is that you can easily remove negative customer reviews on Amazon and improve your product sales however for this, you need to understand Amazon review guidelines and legal tips to remove bad customer reviews.
What is the Effect of Negative Customer Reviews on Amazon?
As a seller, you will see some of the impacts clearly on your product sales after receiving negative customer reviews and some of the impacts will appear later in the future. Below are the possible effects of negative customer reviews,
Decreased in Sales
Negative reviews can discourage potential customers from making a purchase after they read the reviews from a verified purchase, leading to a decrease in sales.
Decrease in Click Through Rate
If your product is consistently receiving negative reviews then your product rating might go below 4-star ratings which in turn impacts the click-through rate from the potential customers. Customer will not even visit your product page and decides to visit your competitor with good ratings.
Reduced Search Visibility
Amazon’s algorithm takes customer reviews into account when determining search rankings, so a product with negative reviews may be pushed down in search results, reducing its visibility and sales potential therefore product organic ranking will go down.
Damage to Seller’s Reputation
A product with negative reviews can also damage the reputation of the seller which impacts the brand’s other products as well making it harder for them to sell their other products in the future.
A product with negative reviews may face increased competition from similar products with better ratings and reviews even your potential customer will decide to try a new seller product over your product.
Negative Impact on Product Marketing
When a product has negative reviews on Amazon, it can lead to an increase in advertising costs, as the algorithm may interpret the product as less desirable and charge a higher cost per click for advertising. This means that sellers may end up paying more per click for their ads, making it harder to attract potential customers and increasing their overall advertising costs.
How Many 5 Star Reviews to Cancel a 1 Star on Amazon?
Now you must be aware that 1 – 3 negative star reviews impact your product very badly then you must think how many positive 4 -5 positive star reviews will negate the negative star impact then we will let you know about this as well.
First of all, you don’t have to wait for positive ratings to come to you naturally as the customer survey states that only 1 out of 10 happy customers leave a positive review. One more thing to note is that there is no count of how many positive reviews can cancel negative reviews.
Let us tell you how Amazon measures the weight of a review which is a secret and they do not tell the public.
Instead of simply averaging raw data, Amazon’s star ratings for products are calculated using a machine-learning model that considers various factors. These factors include the age of the rating, whether the rating was given by a verified purchaser, and other elements that help establish the trustworthiness of the reviewer.
Amazon’s Review Removal Policy
You must be aware now that negative reviews can cause you to lose sales and revenue. We do not recommend you to wait for positive reviews to come on your product to negate bad reviews therefore you need to understand what is Amazon’s review removal policy.
Let us look at the following type of reviews that Amazon will easily remove,
- Promotional content: comments or links to other sellers/websites.
- Avoid offensive language and use polite language.
- Reviews that are abusive or illegal, such as that which promotes crimes against humanity, racial animosity, or violence, are prohibited. Additionally, content that includes child pornography or has the potential to diminish human dignity is also not allowed.
- Reviews that do not refrain from sharing personal information which breaches the reviewer’s own or someone else’s privacy. This includes but is not limited to Amazon passwords, payment card numbers, phone numbers, email addresses, or physical addresses.
- Reviews that are likely to infringe upon the intellectual property rights of third parties, such as photos, articles, and other materials, are not permitted.
- Feedback on pricing will be removed by Amazon, which encompasses comments on the cost of the item or shipping.
Please note that comments, feedback, and ratings regarding a seller on Amazon are solely allowed from those who have bought a product from the seller through the Amazon platform.
Violations About Customer Reviews: Which Amazon Seller Should Know
There are also several violations that sellers do which can result in the suspension of the seller account as well which you should note before doing so with or without intentions.
- Creating a variation relationship between products to manipulate reviews and boost a product’s star rating through review aggregation.
- Offering a refund or reimbursement to the buyer after they write a review and asking them to change or remove it before or after the refund/reimbursement, either via buyer-seller messaging on Amazon, directly contacting customers, or using third-party services, websites, or social media groups.
- Diverting negative reviews to be sent to them or a different feedback mechanism while positive reviews are sent to Amazon.
- Using a third-party service that provides free or discounted products tied to a review, such as a review club that requires customers to register their Amazon public profile so that sellers can monitor their reviews.
- Posting a review of their own product or a competitor’s product using a family member or employee of the seller.
- Offering a third-party financial reward, free products, discounts, or other compensation in exchange for a review on their own or competitor’s product, including services that sell customer reviews, websites, or social media groups.
- Using a customer account to write or change a review on their own or a competitor’s product.
- Asking a reviewer to change or remove their review, possibly offering a refund or other compensation in exchange for doing so.
- Posting a review on their own product or their competitor’s product.
- Including a request for a positive Amazon review or an incentive in exchange for a review in the product packaging or shipping boxes.
Some of the violations are easy to get noticed but some are hideous if Amazon notices any then these can result in the following,
- The seller’s selling privileges on Amazon will be revoked immediately and permanently, and their funds will be withheld.
- All reviews of the product will be removed, and the product will be prevented from receiving any future reviews or ratings.
- The product will be permanently removed from Amazon’s listing.
- Amazon may file lawsuits against the seller and take legal measures.
How To Remove Bad Reviews On Amazon?
After reading Amazon’s review policy, now you can start finding and looking at specific bad reviews that can be easily removed by Amazon, and then for some of them, you can contact customers yourself and try review removal.
Contacting Amazon For Feedback Removal
If you notice negative reviews that Amazon can remove easily according to the guidelines above then you can issue an Amazon ticket by contacting the support team and informing them regarding,
- Product ASIN
- Review Title and Body
- Review link
- Why do you think that it is against the community guidelines and should be removed?
There are three options for contacting the Amazon support team,
In some regions, chat is available such as the UK so you can contact the Amazon support team via chat and get the review remove easily. Chat is the fastest possible method for contacting Amazon customer support.
How to Ask Customers to Remove Negative Feedback?
For some negative reviews, you need to contact customers and get to know further details of the inconvenience caused by your product.
To contact the customer, do the following,
- Find the 1 – 3 star reviews first that you can not ask Amazon to remove.
- Click the customer profile who left the negative review then copy the name
- Copy the Product ASIN for which they have left the negative review
- Go into the “Manage Orders” in your Amazon Seller Central
- Search for the date of purchase after using the product ASIN (Remember the date of purchase should be within 90 days of leaving the review therefore if the date is 1 May 2023 then you can select from 1 Feb 2023 and then search for the customer name.
- When you have found the customer name with the order then you can contact them and ask about the issue about the product and how you can try to resolve that.
Remember you can never offer them a refund in favor of removing the negative review.
Always use wordplay and you can offer them a replacement of the product and if they like it then they may remove the review on their own.